Emcon Services Inc., a distinguished Canadian company with a proven track record of over 30 years as an interprovincial Road and Bridge Maintenance Contractor, is offering an exciting opportunity. We're looking for a motivated individual to join our team as Road Superintendent in Golden, BC.
This dynamic role is a key supervisory and management representative position excluded from Union membership. The Road Superintendent position is a full-time position under the direction of the Operations Manager and is responsible for the coordination and implementation of work program(s) in a safe, productive and cost-effective manner. The Road Superintendent is the direct Supervisor of Laborer's, Equipment Operators and Road Foremen involved in maintenance and contract work within the management Area, and is responsible for the direction of the workforce in the application and performance of their duties.
This position requires positive interaction and productive working relationships with:
- other supervisory staff
- office staff
- technical staff
- Ministry of Transportation personnel
- emergency personnel
- the travelling public
The successful candidate must:
- thorough understanding of maintenance requirements and safety standards,
- provide effective leadership,
- ensure that all works are carried out safely and cost-effectively to meet or exceed standards
- above average communication skills
- be capable of working in a team environment.
- The applicant should have an in-depth knowledge of the road and bridge maintenance industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize, direct, supervise and control work activities within the Management area to ensure that staff, equipment and materials are available and deployed in a manner that achieves cost effectiveness and quality standards.
- Required to know and understand the Ministry Specifications and Emcon’s Quality Management System, as well as all hat all works are carried out safely and cost-effectively to meet or exceed standards
- Receives and investigates any requests or complaints from stakeholders and takes necessary action to resolve them or, when appropriate, refer to the next level of management or to outside agencies including, but not limited to, RCMP, Fire Department, Municipal officials, Ministry of Transportation, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring that all quantities of materials, supplies, work hours, equipment usage, etc., are accurately measured and reported through the established methods.
- Responsible for day-to-day monitoring and reporting of sub-contractor work programs within the management area.
- Required to be familiar with and administer the Collective Agreement on a day-to-day basis, with assistance from staff when necessary, and to ensure that employees under their supervision operate within the correct terms and conditions of employment.
- Supervises and directs a crew of equipment operators and labourers, monitors and reports productivity and performance (individual and group) and initiates appropriate action to correct any unsatisfactory performance or activity.
- Participates in planning and scheduling of work programs, staff and shift scheduling, job costing, estimating and budgets, and analyzing work methods and goals, targets and objectives.
- Required to know and administer all safety rules and regulations, to lead the Occupational Health and Safety Program at the crew level (Tool Box Meetings), and to show safety leadership by example.
- Provides training and orientation to new employees, as well as ongoing instruction and training to all employees to ensure that they know and follow correct (and safe) operating procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The following are desirable qualifications:
- Clean Drivers Abstract, Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement preferred
- Proficient computer skills, including the use of basic programs (word, excel and .pdf)
- Knowledge and experience working in the highway maintenance industry, including familiarity with the BC Highway Maintenance Specifications
- Understanding of fundamental ISO Standards
- Three (3) years previous supervisory experience; unionized environment preferred
- Demonstrated positive safety record and application of practices
- Leadership abilities
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills
- Effective communication skills with co-workers, supervisors, stakeholders and public
- The ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions
- The ability to work well under pressure and achieve prescribed timelines.
- The ability to work, at times, in a variety of emergency and difficult conditions
Emcon Services Inc. offers a competitive wage and benefits package.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit resumes and cover letter, accompanied by references to:
Emcon Services has the following conditions of employment: satisfactory drug pre-screening and Driver’s Abstract.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please.