Does a career where your leadership and guidance have direct influences that contribute to keeping the travelling public safe and maintaining the flow of essential goods on highway and road networks sound like it’s the right industry for you?
- Are you a leader, strategic thinker?
- Do you enjoy the challenges of a fast pace ever changing environment?
- Above average interpersonal skills?
- Do you always strive for better?
If you answered yes, we want you to join our team!
Emcon Services Inc. currently has an opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to join our team as Road Superintendent, supporting our City of West Kelowna Municipal Road Maintenance Contract. Emcon Services Inc. is proudly a Canadian based company with over 30 years of success as an interprovincial Road and Bridge Maintenance Contractor providing maintenance services throughout British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario. Our management group maintains diversity along with variable levels of experience which we believe promotes greater inclusion of our employees through the application of alternate skillsets, continual improvement initiatives including innovations and a balance of traditional and modern methods and philosophies. Our team has been recognized for providing outstanding service being a multiple recipient of the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructures Highway’s Contractor of the Year Award for Excellence as well as a past recipient of the BC Award for Community Service.
The City of West Kelowna incorporated in 2007 and lies in the heart of the Okanagan Valley. Emcon has provided road maintenance services to the City of West Kelowna since the beginning of its incorporation, and currently has the contract to provide services through to 2025, or longer should an extension to the contract occur. The City of West Kelowna has an abundance of activities available including water sports on Okanagan Lake, mountain biking at Smith Creek, skiing and snowmobiling are close by, or take up the Wine Route and visit many of the world’s top class wineries throughout the Okanagan Valley. The City of West Kelowna has an activity for everyone!
Staff at Emcon have developed a great working relationship with City of West Kelowna staff responsible for the administration of the roads contract. By being acutely aware of stakeholder requirements for the area, the chosen candidate will carry our initiatives forward, providing top level services to this thriving community!
Reporting to the Contract Manager, the Road Superintendent is responsible for:
- Administration of the Roads Maintenance Agreement between Emcon and the City of West Kelowna.
- Overall planning and application of seasonal maintenance activities within the area; in compliance to high quality standards, assigned seasonal budgets, and requirements of the maintenance specifications including supervising and directing the efficient operation of all workers and equipment within the Area.
- Communicating with staff at all levels of the company with a critical key focus on team building, promoting positive culture, benchmarking and conveying successes along with the identification and dissemination of methods to continually improve our operations.
- Communicating with stakeholders including City of West Kelowna staff and emergency responders with a key emphasis on the recognition and implementation of win-win concepts that provide benefits to all parties.
The successful candidate must have:
- A thorough understanding of road maintenance specifications, actions required to achieve them;
- A cursory understanding of quality control & assurance programs.
- Proven interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Valid BC Driver’s License (Class 3 with air, preferable) and a positive driver safety record.
- Understanding of labour agreements, employment and Health and Safety legislation;
- Excellent communication and public relation, organizational and decision-making skills;
- Proficient computer knowledge and ability to navigate industry programs;
- Knowledge of maintenance related equipment and the ability to instruct junior employees on proper operating procedures and equipment maintenance.
- Prior experience working within a union environment is an asset.
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Can demonstrate a minimum of 5 years employment in the field of delivering roads or highway maintenance activities, preferably in a supervisory role.
This is a non-union, salaried, management position. Compensation and benefits will be based on the experience of the successful candidate.
Emcon Services has the following conditions of employment: satisfactory drug pre-screening and Driver’s Abstract. Qualified applicants are encouraged to forward their resume and covering letter to: email@example.com
Emcon Services Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.